Thursday, November 29, 2012

Observing Number Explorations

SpiderGirl has always been a social learner.  With her, we talk, do things, play games.  Without the social engagement, she does not seem much interested in exploring numbers.  BatBoy, on the other hand, is very much more introverted in his learning style.  Unless he has specific questions, he just wants me to get out of his way and let him do his thing.  With BatBoy, I get to be an observer of his learning.


This week, BatBoy has been exploring numbers and how they relate to one another in terms of value.  Mostly, he has been counting.  Just counting and counting... counting things, counting nothing, all week long.  One night, after we were all in bed, I fell asleep before he did.  Between the hours of 9:30 and 12:00, I woke three times to hear, "547, 548, 549...", "871, 872, 873, 874...", "997, 998, 999 ... ..."  

"One thousand," I supplied.
"One thousand.  Am I done yet?"
"Yes, go to sleep."
".....zzzzzz..."

He has wanted to know things like, what comes after 10 000, and is gadzillion a real number.  

Yesterday, he asked, "Is zero the smallest number?"
"How about -1?" I asked.
"Nooooo..."  A long pause.  "How about negative 12 billion?"
"How about negative 12 billion and 1?" I asked.
"How about negative 12 billion and 12?"
"How about negative 12 billion and 13?"
Somehow, that segued into a long fit of giggles and a change of subject.

It is just interesting to watch his understanding of numbers unfold.  Though I am not a participant, BatBoy is fairly transparent in his mathematical explorations, while SpiderGirl seemed to come about her learning in sudden leaps.  Thanks, BatBoy, for showing me your journey.  It is fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment