Saturday, February 4, 2012

Where Are We Now?

I haven't posted anything here in quite awhile because we haven't actually "done math" in a long time.  Have we forgotten about math?  Not really.  I've brought it up a few times, but nobody is biting.  But we haven't entirely neglected math.


When it snowed, the kids read the thermometer inside, then stuck it in the snow, in the ice, and in the middle of the deck to take readings both above and below zero.

Other than that, SpiderGirl has been figuring out lots of multiplication problems.  Every once in awhile, she will randomly tell me something like:  "Eleven times two is twenty-two."  I have an idea that maybe I ought to let her chart her answers.  

The last time she told me a multiplication fact, I mentioned that when she had them memorized, she would be able to do all sorts of math!  SpiderGirl declared, "I already know 'all sorts of math'."  That should have been my cue to stop talking.  Too bad I'm slow on the uptake.  I told her about going forwards and backwards, and area, and volume, and multiplying integers.  

Overwhelm.

But maybe I should let her chart her facts.

BatBoy has been driven to count everything around him lately.  He puts them in different patterns and counts things.  He draws polygons and counts the sides.  Then he counts the vertices.  He counts like things in the illustrations of story books.  He's recognizing that coins have different values.  He's still adding, but he's counting much more.  Seems backwards, but that's what he's doing.  He is counting to *higher numbers* though, and so maybe that's the challenge.  Maybe soon, he will remember the number "15".  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment